As promised, here is a list of some of my accomplishments since I became mayor five years ago in June 2008:
- While there was plenty of help in bringing these businesses into Lansdale, I initiated the contact in recruiting Molly Maguires, Virago Bakery, Round Guys Brewery, Water: Elemental Arts and Crafts (I was also a founding member of the gallery cooperative), the Archive Comic Book Shop and Tabora Cafe (in the case of Tabora, I was the go between between the landlord and the previous tenant).
- Lansdale’s Oktoberfest with an International Flair, which I started in 2009, has raised over $15,000 for the Lansdale Library. This was also the first time that beer was ever sold on Borough property.
- The Oktoberfest then helped give birth to the Lansdale Craft Beer Festival which is also immensely successful in not only putting Lansdale on the map, but also generating close to $100,000 in profits for local charities in its four years of existence.
- I helped organize and plan the annual Molly Maguire’s Saint Patrick’s Day One Mile race benefiting Manna on Main Street.
- Montgomery County’s Commissioners appointed me to serve on the Board of the Montgomery County Correctional Facility. This experience has helped me to better understand law enforcement and improve my service to the Lansdale Police Department.
- I serve on the Campaign Leadership Council for the North Penn Commons Project which will integrate the YMCA, the PEAK Center, Manna on Main Street and Advanced Living Communities into one location at the gateway to Lansdale on East Main Street.
- I have– for the most part– happily performed over 100 wedding ceremonies many of them for Lansdale residents.
- Senator Mensch selected me to serve on his Legislative Panel to award scholarships to deserving seniors looking to attend Valley Forge Military College.
- I created the first ever Lansdale Borough Calendar benefiting the Lansdale DARE program.
- I’ve participated in outreach programs too numerous to list ranging from Elm Terrace Gardens Town Hall Meetings to Bangladeshi Community events to explaining civics to our local elementary school students .
- I was selected among 20 other local leaders as a 2013 United Way Super Hero for my support of the children in our community.
- There is also this blog, Everything Lansdale, which has been a source of information and curious observations for the residents of Lansdale, and it also has been a guide to convey to non-Lansdale residents what goes on in our community. As of today, October 9th, 2013, I have had over 11,800 views from 48 different countries.
- This year, the PennSuburban Chamber of Commerce selected me to serve as their Centennial Celebration Honorary Chairman.
These are some of the things I have done in my capacity as mayor to help support our Borough, increase its visibility and make it a better place to live, work and play. And while I have been a staunch cheerleader for the Borough, I have also been critical of some policies and decisions that have taken place over the past four years. To my critics, I tell them, yes, one can be critical and supportive at the same time. Therefore, in my next blog I will start to outline some of the issues facing the Borough and what I believe those solutions to be.
P.S. For those that are curious, I took the above photograph of the Lansdale train station last November one foggy Sunday morning.